Towards the end of 2010, Technorati, an Internet search engine for searching blogs, published its annual State of the Blogosphere report delving into the growth and trends in the blogosphere.
Key findings include:
- Bloggers’ use of and engagement with various social media tools is expanding;
- Two-thirds of bloggers are male;
- 65% are age 18-44;
- 81% have been blogging more than 2 years;
- The lines between blogs, micro-blogs, and social networks are disappearing;
- Sharing of blog posts increasingly done through social networks;
- The significant growth of mobile blogging is a key trend – 25% of all bloggers are engaged in mobile blogging;
- Growing influence of women and mom bloggers on the blogosphere, mainstream media, and brands;
- 48% of respondents believe they will be getting their news and entertainment from blogs in the next five years than from the traditional media;
- 40% of respondents agree with bloggers’ views, and their trust in mainstream media is dropping.