I want to return today to one of the findings from the Harvard Business Review study on social media – specifically the fact that 75% of the companies in the survey said they did not know where their most valuable customers were talking about them.
It is important to listen to what is being said about your brand, not just to know what is going on, whether you are receiving any negative publicity or comments that need to be addressed, but also to know what you are doing right, so that you can do more of it.
How do you monitor online conversations about your organisation?
- Comments and messages on Facebook
- Tweets/retweets on Twitter
- Blog comments
The above are basic conversation monitoring tools. For more see the list below:
- Set up Google Alerts for your organisation and the field you operate in.
- HootSuite allow you to monitor basic volume of interactions.
- Paid tools like Radian 6, Meltwater Buzz and Scout Labs will allow you to track data in a more automated fashion.
So get listening to what people are saying about you and get ready to respond in appropriate strategic ways.